Speech-language pathologists (SLP) provide treatment that will improve overall quality of life. Adults who seek speech therapy may be struggling in various aspects of day to day life such as basic self-care, job performance, social interaction and family life. Without speech therapy, these adults may become isolated and withdrawn over time. Our speech-language pathology team recommends the best course of treatment. Then, the speech therapist adapts treatment to address individual needs and collaborates with our multidisciplinary team to provide comprehensive and individualized treatment.
Speech therapists at New Horizons Wellness Services are trained to address the following:
- Social-pragmatic communication
- Dysphagia/swallowing and feeding problems
- Voice disorders (vocal nodules and dysphonia)
- Cognitive-communication disorders which may include problems organizing thoughts, paying attention, remembering, planning, or problem-solving.
- Aphasia and receptive and expressive language disorders which occur when a person has trouble understanding others or sharing thoughts.
- Dysarthria (difficult or unclear articulation) results from impaired movement of the muscles used for speech production.
- Speech/language disorders as a result of a traumatic brain injury or medical conditions such as stroke, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s Disease.